Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

dhr53
Senior Contributor

Resentment

Hello,

i am caring for my partner who has cancer, I do pretty much everything and I am feeling very resentful. I live in an isolated area, and I am drinking more and more as I am becoming more frustrated. I am not sure if anyone can really help.

20 REPLIES 20
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Resentment

Hi @dhr53

Resentment is a common feeling among carers. It is important to acknowledge it so we can take steps to deal with it, it eats at us if we don't.

Can anyone help you? Yes, yes and yes.  You are not alone. 

The carer gateway  lists a number of support services as well as a help line - check them our here:

https://www.carergateway.gov.au

The cancer council may also be able to help in a more targeted way and have a support line.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/get-support/caring-for-someone-with-cancer/

Carers Australia offer free counseling services (over the phone available in rural areas).

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au

Thank you I will contact a website you suggested.
Former-Member
Not applicable

How are you going @dhr53?

Hi Darcy, I am not okay, really, just plodding along. Life will remain much the same, I am so used to having a negative attitude, I don’t know how to be otherwise. It is the default me. Thank you for asking.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@dhr53

As carers we often put ourselves last and doing something that is personally uplifting (called "self care") is oh so important. 

Is there a little something you can do today for yourself to give you s smile?

I will tag you in a thread that will give you ideas and some for social interaction with other caregivers.

images (2037).jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Who do you care for @dhr53?

Your partner? family member?

Do you have any pets? Hobbies?

I care for my husband. He has advanced bowel cancer. He has had chemo for about 16 months and it has impacted on his memory severely. So not only can he not be bothered doing anything, he has confusion when I set him a task. I do pretty much everything. We live in the country. I have pets and hobbies and I drink too much.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@dhr53

Did you have any success when you contacted one of the support groups?

It seems like you are wanting to make some positive changes and getting that support for yourself happening is worthwhile.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @dhr53 

I am now the carer of someone with cancer. Last month my Mr Darcy was  diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.😢😢😢. I suspect that any treatment on offer will be palliative only.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance