Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Dark times

Hey guys,

im new here and this is my first post.

I've been battling depression for quite a while now I'm 23. since covid started it intensified everything and I'm in the darkest place right now.

for the first time I saw a psychologist to get help this month. I'm finding it not so helpful, I'm feeling incredibly lost. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me? I have no idea what to do with my life currently..

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Dark times

@Former-Member 

Welcome to the sane forum.

I'm @jem80 a community guide in training here at the sane forums.

I can understand your depression. COVID-19 has caused a lot of issues as we are all self isolated. There are a lot of habits that start to surface like staying in bed too long and not getting out regularly for exercise because we feel down and depressed.

Watching too much news isn't good for us either and I limit what I watch and how long so it isn't too depressing in the world.

The first time you meet your psychologist it's more of a get to know you and to start talking about some things. It takes time to establish a rapport with them to where you feel comfortable opening up to them and discussing issues in full depth.

If however you still feel like it's not working for you after a considerable amount of time, you do have the option of seeing someone else.

Give it some time. Talking to a psychologist is also uncomfortable because you will be confronted with issues that you have been trying to put aside and deal with later.

As for dealing with living in this COVID-19 world, I have slowly started to get out of the house more. I go as far as the local shops as a step forward to feel comfortable around other people. Also I have started hobbies and tasks around the house like knitting, listening to relaxation music, doing art, watching movies, the housework!

Keep going with your mental health supports and slowly you will get there.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you Jem I will keep that in mind.

Welcome, @Former-Member , it's good you've joined the forums. I'm sorry you feel you're in a very dark place right now. 

Can I ask if you are on any medication for your depression? That's good you're seeing a psychologist...I would echo @jem80  in saying it takes time to get to know and work with a new therapist. 

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums. If you type 'depression' into the search bar, you will find threads on that topic. A handy forum tip is to type @ and then click on a member's name in the drop-down box, that way they'll get a notification that you've replied to them. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you for your response, I'm currently not on medication. My psychologist recommended to goto my GP for a antidepressant. I'm just super unsure and and uncertain about my situation as this has been an ongoing issue that persists. Thanks again

hello and welcome @Former-Member 

my husband has has depression all his life and he has lots of different diagnosis 

he has been on anti depressiants for a while but now he is on anti anxiety meds as well 

having a talk to your Gp might help 

@Former-Member wrote:

My psychologist recommended to goto my GP for a antidepressant. I'm just super unsure and and uncertain about my situation as this has been an ongoing issue that persists.

Medication might make you feel a whole lot better...it might be worth a try? 

@Former-Member 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you, wow that my must be frustrating for both of you guys. Sorry to hear and wish him the best 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes I will try because I seem to have resort to it. Yes I’ll probably give me serotonin however it’s not really a solution

@Former-Member 

A psychiatrist deals with both mental health and medications. They can discuss with you in more in-depth. If you feel uncomfortable perhaps a chat with a psychiatrist if you feel uncomfortable with your GP.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance