Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

KaiTranSydney
New Contributor

Need advices for Carer

Hi,

My name is Kai and I am currently taking care of my friend who is recently diagnosed with Psychosis and got admitted to hospital under schedule. I do believe that the medical team have been a tremendous help toward my friend with their treatment. However, my friend still believes that he can heal himself through the use of spiritual healing (healing stones, Budish, etc).

How can I convince him that it is better for him to continue receiving treatment from the hospital and not trying to fight with the medical team?  I want to support my friend 100% but sometimes I can see it very clear that after the admission, his mood has improved slightly. He put me down as next of kin so I got quite overwhelmed sometimes when the medical team asked me to make a decision for my friend. 

Sincerely,

Kai.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Need advices for Carer

Hi there @KaiTranSydney  well done on caring for your friend, this is a very loving thing to do and no doubt it is daunting at times. I can certainly understand your wanting him to persue the medical treatment, I wonder if there's a happy medium whereby he can engage with both? We actually have an "Ask Us Anything" happening until Friday here about a new Carer Coaching program you might be interested in. You can ask our featured guest ARAFMI if you have any questions 🙂 Just a heads up, I would recommend checking out or community guidelines around anonymity too. You haven't breached any guidelines as yet, but am just conscious that Sydney is in your username and your you're signing off a first name, should all be fine so long as there's no specific breaks of anonymity and you feel comfortable enough you are not identifiable to the public 🙂

In terms of your own self-care in supporting your friend, do you have any current supports for you such as a counsellor or peer group? Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @KaiTranSydney 

You might find the hospital have a Buddhist chaplain who could visit your friend if he is willing. 

I have tagged you to some information you might find helpful.

The carer gateway has information in some other languages  - this may be of help.

www.carergateway.gov.au/other-languages

Former-Member
Not applicable

How are you going @KaiTranSydney 

how are you going @KaiTranSydney 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance