Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Calendula
Casual Contributor

Support groups

Hi everyone, 

I'd really like to have access to a few more support groups. I have mental health condition which is ongoing and feel the need to be able to talk through issues with peers. I wonder can I have these discussions here or is there another peer group suited to mental illness. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Support groups

Hi and welcome, @Calendula . You can certainly talk about mental health conditions here, and get peer support. 🙂

Would you like to tell us a bit more about what you'd like to discuss?

You can also type your mental illness into the search bar to see threads about it. 

Hi thanks for the encouragement, I had time in hospital for psychosis and I am trying to find a peer group. 

There seem to be quite a few threads about psychosis @Calendula . (I typed it into the search bar on the 'Lived Experience' home page.) You can add to them, or start your own thread about it with Psychosis in the title, if you like.

A handy forum tip is to type @ and then click on a member's name you want to speak to in the drop-down box - that way they'll get a notification that you're speaking to them, like I did for you above. 🙂

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums and getting peer support for your condition. 

Thank you. I'll get started with the search button and come back to the discussion forum soon. 

hi @Calendula and welcome
we are an online peer support group and we encourage you to chat to us here 🙂

we cant however mention names of specific names of support groups offline. If your looking for a support group though, your hospital may have some information about what is available in your area. they may even be able to help you link in with the group as well.

You might also like to do a websearch such as 'Melbourne support groups for (your disorder name)' and see if something comes up in your area.

goodluck! please keep chatting here too, im sure many people will be happy to support you too

@Calendula  Hey Calendula just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I was firstly diagnosed with a psychosis and later changed to bipolar I and then schizoaffective disorder. We are a friendly group here with people from all different mental health backgrounds. Have a look around the threads and I hope to catch up with you around the forum. greenpea 🙂

@greenpea Thanks for introducing yourself. My diagnosis has been similar. It's nice to know I am not alone. I feel quite isolated, hence the search for peers. I am going down in dosage, as advised by my psychiatrist, and all is going okay. Mostly I worry about long term self management and staying on track. Do you use self help tips, such as daily routines. Some days I find my motivation quite low. Thank you again for saying hello. 

@Calendula  to be honest Calendula it has taken me a good few years to get to the point where I am now being able to half way function as a human being. At the beginning basics like showering were nigh impossible .... I just felt so tired all the time. My memory was shot to pieces for years and would be liike waves on the sea shore. I would remember something that happened whilst I was manic and then it would simply disappear again. I think in all honestly I have some kind of damage to my mind which hopefully over time will be rectified.

During those early years I tried to go back to uni but couldnt put pen to paper..... now in a month I will be starting afresh. I have started reading the text and although it is hard as my concentration is difficult I am determined to give it a good shot. My advice is to not give up the meds too quick as it is the meds plus help for a good pschiatrist and mental health nurse that has gotten me to this point where I am feeling almost normal. I will have to continue taking meds for the rest of my life but that is better than having a relapse. Take good care of yourself. greenpea

ps: I still need nana naps during the day as I get exhausted and motivation to do some jobs around the house is zilch but one step at a time.

@greenpea 

That's exactly how I feel @greenpea. The days are long and my motivation lapses, some days I am sharper than others but generally I feel my cognition has taken a blow and it's a struggle to get my mind kickstarted. My psychiatrist did a cognitive test on me and I failed marginally so was sent for an MRI. The result, much to my surprise, was normal. I felt certain I did have a cognitive loss and still do because of the challenges I face each day with myself.

I'm guessing then that I have a long way to go with my recovery. I was only in hospital in Jan 2020 so my expectations are probably unrealistic. I sense from reading your account that means I need to be more patient with my mind and about what I think I ought to be doing. It's difficult because I want to be normal. But this is my new normal. Self acceptance is hard, as is patience about my condition. My mental lethargy makes me feel lazy and self critical. Its difficult. 

As you say nana naps help. Thanks again @greenpea 

Also thanks to @outlander @NatureLover @

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance