Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Want to talk

@NatureLover

Glad you raised the bit about therapists being able to hear about SI.  A gp told me recently ... its their job ... and it is.  Putting that on client is inappropriate.  That is what SUPERVISION is for.  If the worker is not up for it, after training and support, they need to think about the nature of their job and consider changing jobs.  It is not just about sitting in a nice office, in nice clothes saying nice things, and side shifting anything too difficult to the pdoc, and patholoigising it per se.  There are plenty of normal humans who feel suicidal. 

I thought about SI a lot.    It took a very long time before I could allow myself to even utter my own feelings about it.  To block or not hold the client's confidence with due regard can be very unhelpful and drive the thoughts back into the unutterable realm. 

@Lilly6 

Welcome, touching Elbows, hope things start to look for you.  She may be a the best fit you can get for the moment idk.  Take Care 

Thank you @Appleblossom  I feel she is the best fit I have had so far in This awful journey. I like and trust her even after her comment however am not sure I would raise SI with her again. Things could change though. She is a ton better than any of the other ones I have dealt with as I said and I am willing to continue. 

Hearing you @Lilly6 

Smiley Happy

I wish they knew how much the clients actually bend to fit in with them, the profs. I had a recent bruising experince with a psychologist, that has resulted in me firming up, and calling out any issues I encounter.

Tbh.  In their job. It is NOT enough to simply turn up.

Take Care.

I agree @Appleblossom  it is not their job to just turn up and I have been through a few supposed mental health professionals that forgot that I think. Mental health care where I live is absolutely appalling and luckily I was able to link into an out of town service by phone. 

It is good you call out any issues you encounter, that would make it clear what you are willing to accept and what they should be providing. I want to firm up too but I am not at that stage yet. I have though asked for different counsellors when I have been linked with one that was just awful. 

That is the important thing @Lilly6 

Usually people who go to a psychologist are vulnerable enough.

I am older and far more resourced now than many people.

I see the profession as in its early days, needing a little tweaking, and getting a big extra hand of public money.  IMO that money has to earned. 

Self referencing can be a strategy to engage and develop rapport with client.  Not an excuse to get out of helping client work thru their issues.  I do have quals in the field, but never practised ....  still interested as it can be LIFE SAVING work.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance