Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: have run out of ideas

@ucancallmebetty HI I sent a message but I don't think I sent it properly. Have you heard of meetups. They have a lot of activities but I think the gameboard one my suit your daughter. My son is in a somewhat similar situation. Anyway the gameboard ones are great because you don't have to talk much except to say yahtzee!  Its good because you can just ease yourself into conversation. As a teen I barely spoke so playing board games and ping pong helped me. I've encouraged my son to go .He agreed but with the lockdown I don't know when they will be starting again.Hopefully soon

1. hi i have same issue or similar, 20 year old daughter fallen out of everything, Severe anxiety, hospitalalised fir many months last year struggling for 5 years, medications don't do much.Online gaming one thing she cld try, Seems to be a non threatening way to engage, like you i've been trying to find something, seems like a gap in services/groups, thought about an online book club for young women if there was such a thing? 

Hi @ucancallmebetty I have some ideas for you 😀

The Rythym Hut operates regular classes and events like African drumming, sober dance parties etc but that might be too much on the senses.

Bamboo Buddha cafe offers yoga, sound baths in a much, much smaller, more tranquil setting. The staff and food is awesome.

Gosford Art Gallery might be an idea because talking/noise is discouraged. I think there's a garden there too. They might still do art workshops as well. Actually Ken Duncan gallery too might be an idea.

Beach and bush walks and take a camera. Bouddi NP is BEAUTIFUL. There's Somersby falls too.

Conservation gardening group.

Oh! For a time my mum was volunteering to walk shelter dogs. Bit of animal healing there 😉

Another friend participates in a rock scavenger hunt (I don't know how else to describe it!) People paint rocks with positive msgs and pics and hide them around the coast and leave clues so people can find them.

I'll try and think of more...

Hi Thanks for your suggestion. My son has going to board games meetup for a year now and enjoys it very much. However it is still beyond my daughters level of interaction with people. Thanks . I hope your son enjoys the group

wow. That does sound familiar. She tried online games but doesn't interest her and still involves no face to face interaction. I agree- medications don't work only makes her sedated. Yes services and groups for young women seemed to be lacking in our area too

Wow. Thanks. That is quite a list. Some I haven't heard of before- especially scavenger hunt for rocks. I did try drumming with her at WOy WOy which was a much smaller group but she didn't cope with that either. I have taken her to the other places but no interactions with women her own age were possible. I got her a therapy dog but she is too scared to walk outside with it in case she meets another person. I thinks she needs an organised activity in a very small group with young people in their twenties. If you you know of anything please let me know. Thanks for responding

Hi @ucancallmebetty😊

Thank you for sharing some of your daughter’s story. I was really touched by how determined she sounds to achieve the things in her life that are important to her.

I just wondered if you’re familiar with a service called Headspace? They’re a youth friendly service who provide counselling and other types of support for young people aged 12 to 25. They also offer youth programs (however COVID-19 may impact this at the moment). I’m not too sure whereabouts in Australia you are, but if you visited their website: headspace.org.au you could search to see if there was a service located near you. Given how they provide services for young people who have a lived experience of mental health issues, they may be able to provide your daughter with the necessary support and understanding that she needs to participate in social opportunities. Or they may be able to recommend some other opportunities that are of interest to her.

Also, just as a final thought, I wondered if you have thought about approaching a local TAFE? Sometimes students completing studies in the areas of community services / disability support, are looking to gain some practical experience. There may be someone who is  keen to volunteer their time and who can provide some social support that meets your daughter’s needs.

Thinking of you and your daughter at this time and sending you both gentle hugs.

ShiningStar 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance