Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@Appleblossom  I am selective with whom I tell what, I think Mr Darcy was glad to leave our previous country town where everyone knew everyone (or so it seemed), so a certain amount of anonymity at our new place has been appreciated. Just as I don't feel the need to let anyone know of my previous medical history, I don't believe they need to know all about Mr Darcy's either but would say something if thought prudent on a need-to-know basis. I do however  have no hesitation in correcting misinformation about mental health issues if they crop up. 

@Shaz51  I did not go anywhere near a Centrelink office when I applied for carer payment - was all done on line and far easier than I thought it would be. 

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@NatureLover thanks for that link above, I appreciate your time and support. 

@Shaz51 @Thank you. I can see you have a lot on your plate as well, and I appreciate your comment. It's so tiring. 

@NatureLover Thanks. I will ask my GP about it. 

@Former-Member, @Shaz51, the application for DSP was drawn out, but actually went through pretty smoothly, in a large part due to the competent and very complete information provided by our psychologist. The "confronting" was more that getting all the neccessary evidence together meant, in a sense, having to "measure" the extent of trauma and its effect on us.

@NatureLover, I've been meaning to access formal carer support services for ages, but it keeps slipping to the back of my mind. Partially, I think, because it feels like more paperwork and more assessments.... I was connected to carer services years ago when our daughter lived at home, and I was therefore eligible for Centrelink carers payments, but the fact that I was officially recognised as a carer meant all I had to do was quote my CRN to access support. I don't know what the process is when you're not a recognised carer, so it gets put in the "deal with it later" basket. Which is a little less daunting than the "too hard" basket. 😛

@Smc  Merri Health were awarded  government funding for carer services in Victoria - here is a link - I am not familiar with the services they provide.

https://www.merrihealth.org.au/services/carer-support/

Wellways provide the free Building a Future class which I think may be available in Victoria

https://www.wellways.org/our-services/support-families-friends-and-carers

Carers Victoria also provide services as does the Carer Gateway - these too are free services.

@Former-MemberThank you very much for acknowledging me and my points, as a person and as "authority" in the forum.  Some people might feel reassured reading "you are not alone" ... and it might lead to ideas of whom to contact.  I dont take the "you" personally, but I think I am still struggling from the event which happened with my last psychologist, so feeling unsupported from a person who can discuss psychological issues with me.  SO at times it can trigger a great sense of all the times I have been utterly alone dealing with all these things from an early age.  That sense could outrage, or as I am writing, it could be resilience, but I cannot take my resilience for granted, as it can trigger quickly to elaborate SI and has today. 

@NatureLover  Thank you for picking up on my post.  It has taken 30 years. For 15 years, I was an unrecognised carer, just the sister, but I did care.  Not sure what I am doing wrong for it to take so long, but I do feel genuine supports. I have recently gone onto NDIS.

@Former-MemberI can imagine you have been selective.  Its great that you can speak up about MI issues in social scenarios, its a step in the right direction.  When I moved to this house I was selective and tried your approach, but it did not go down well. I just did not have the social capital.  So mostly shut up and got on with parenting and teaching.  Though with myself and my son in last 5 years.  Ambulances etc in street and trauma just too front and centre to hide. It spilled out.  Neighbours knew. I have really tried to be balanced and not overstretch the services, just get support for myself or my son, (or in the past for my brother or sister as needed).

Dear @Shaz51  Hugs and thanks.  Maybe I am little like Mr Shaz now.

I am logging off to some self care now.

@Zanylady wrote:

@NatureLover thanks for that link above, I appreciate your time and support. 

No worries, @Zanylady , that's what the forums are for, and this thread event too. 🙂

@Former-Member wrote:

@Shaz51  I did not go anywhere near a Centrelink office when I applied for carer payment - was all done on line and far easier than I thought it would be. 

@Former-Member  - thanks for sharing this - I had no idea that this was possible. 

Thanks too for the links you posted above for carer support services 🙂

@Smc wrote:

@NatureLover, I've been meaning to access formal carer support services for ages, but it keeps slipping to the back of my mind. Partially, I think, because it feels like more paperwork and more assessments.... I was connected to carer services years ago when our daughter lived at home, and I was therefore eligible for Centrelink carers payments, but the fact that I was officially recognised as a carer meant all I had to do was quote my CRN to access support. I don't know what the process is when you're not a recognised carer, so it gets put in the "deal with it later" basket. Which is a little less daunting than the "too hard" basket. 😛

@Smc  - I hear you! It's a difficult situation that you're in.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance